In 1196 a Walter de Mancetter bequeath land for the Parish Church of St. Peter’s to be built.

 

The Chancel walls of the Church still include 12th century masonry, and its solid bulk and squat tower, sits next to the black and white timber framed Mancetter Manor House and the Almshouses. 


This is a well-kept church with the tower clearly visible on the east side of the Parish. In Mediaeval times Mancetter was larger than Atherstone which is why St Peter’s Church was the Mother Church and Atherstone part of the parish of Mancetter. However, by the 19th century Atherstone had grown and was separated from Mancetter.

 

The chancel and Nave were remodelled early in the 13th century and the North Aisle was added later in the 13th century. The Bell Tower and the South Aisle seem to have been added in the 15th century. The south porch was added early in the 17th century.

Restoration work was carried out in 1876, 1911 and 1930, and the Gothic Revival architect C.C. Rolfe may have undertaken restoration work in 1899

The church contains memorials to the two Mancetter Martyrs, Robert Glover who was burnt at the stake at Coventry in 1555 and Joyce Lewis, who was burnt at the stake at Lichfield in 1557.

 

The Church it’s self is well worth a visit or have a look at the website: www.stpeterschurchmancetter.com or get in touch – Email: stpeterspcc1@btconnect.com 

 

 

In 1196 a Walter de Mancetter bequeath land for the Parish Church of St. Peter’s to be built.

 

The Chancel walls of the Church still include 12th century masonry, and its solid bulk and squat tower, sits next to the black and white timber framed Mancetter Manor House and the Almshouses. 


This is a well-kept church with the tower clearly visible on the east side of the Parish. In Mediaeval times Mancetter was larger than Atherstone which is why St Peter’s Church was the Mother Church and Atherstone part of the parish of Mancetter. However, by the 19th century Atherstone had grown and was separated from Mancetter.

 

The chancel and Nave were remodelled early in the 13th century and the North Aisle was added later in the 13th century. The Bell Tower and the South Aisle seem to have been added in the 15th century. The south porch was added early in the 17th century.

Restoration work was carried out in 1876, 1911 and 1930, and the Gothic Revival architect C.C. Rolfe may have undertaken restoration work in 1899

The church contains memorials to the two Mancetter Martyrs, Robert Glover who was burnt at the stake at Coventry in 1555 and Joyce Lewis, who was burnt at the stake at Lichfield in 1557.

 

The Church it’s self is well worth a visit or have a look at the website: www.stpeterschurchmancetter.com or get in touch – Email: stpeterspcc1@btconnect.com